Getting sick in college

I’ve been sick for the past few weeks with a cold and a cough that just hasn’t gone away. I wanted to write this post because college is definitely a time when people get sick and with all the studying, homework, work and extra curricular activities it’s hard to stay healthy. I wanted to give 5 tips to staying healthy in college.

Here is an interesting article from LIVESTRONG.com about why college students get sick: https://www.livestrong.com/article/209706-the-reasons-college-kids-get-sick/

1. Wash your hands/face
I always touch my face and I really need to get in the habit of washing my hands when I’m out of the house. It’s something that was always told to us when we were kids but now that we’re out of the house and away from our parents it’s easy to forget. Definitely take the extra time when you’re in a large group of people, at the gym or after class to wash your hands.

2. Drink lots of fluids
I always keep my water bottle with me at all times. It helps you to drink more water throughout the day because you’re more likely to refill it if you have the bottle near you at all times. I also like to drink tea, smoothies or juice vegetables throughout the week. Eating vegetables and fruits is also a way to get hydrated. Many fruits and veggies have a lot of water in them such as lettuce, cucumber or watermelon. Ginger also helps me a lot! I like to juice ginger or put it in tea and boil it.

3. Sleep
I know I’m naming obvious things but college students, including myself hardly get any sleep. I need to prioritize sleep more especially on days when I have to wake up early for class. Days get very tiring and people get into the habit of going to sleep later and later whenever I have a lot of work to do. Prioritize your time so that you can finish all the work during the day instead of worrying about it at night. I definitely don’t work well at night and if you’re the type of person that works well at night then definitely sleep in a little in the morning.

4. Exercise
Sometimes it’s hard to exercise when you’re already sick and I don’t advise it when you’re feeling bad but if you’re feeling well it should help you prevent getting sick. Exercising regularly boosts your immune system and helps you feel better. It also releases so many endorphins.

5. Eating well
I like to eat out once and awhile but it doesn’t help me when I’m sick or getting over a cold. You never know if the people serving or cooking your food are sick and sometimes that can get you sick. It also isn’t the best quality food for when you’re sick. Try to eat home cooked meals as much as possible and eat leafy green foods. I like to drink a lot of tea and smoothies when I’m sick.

Comments

Popular Posts