It’s flu season… 5 tips on how to stay healthy


So it is definitely flu season because my roommate and my boyfriend had the flu last week and I was terrified. College town are a breeding place for the flu and over viruses because people are always in small indoor places and the cough and sneezes are everywhere. I wanted to give 5 tips that helped me get through the worst time of the flu, when it was in my own apartment, one door away in my roommates room. I went into clean, healthy and paranoid mode. Last semester I had bronchitis for over two months and I did not want to get something as bad as the flu again. Since I was healthy, I tried to take care of my roommate and boyfriend but also keep myself healthy at the same time which is difficult when it is in such close contact with you. Here are a few things I did that could definitely help you during this flu season.

1. Wash your hands:
This is such a simple one but washing your hands and face every time you go out of the house is VERY important. After class… wash your hands. After the gym… wash your hands. After work… wash your hands. The more you wash your hands, the more it will become a habit. Wash your hands especially if you’re handling food or beverages also.

2. Don’t eat out:
When the flu season is in full swing, I try to eat at home as much as possible. I never know who is preparing my food so it makes me nervous, I mean what if they have the flu and coughed and sneezed on the food without me knowing? That is very disturbing to think about. I always know that if I prepare the food myself I’ll always know what went into making the food.

3. Vitamin C & Ginger: 
It is so important to get Vitamin C and ginger. I think ginger cures everything. When everyone was sick around me I would juice the ginger and drink sips of it every morning. If you don’t own a juicer you can buy ginger tea or just boil pieces of ginger and sip the water. I put ginger, lemon, honey and hot water together and it is MAGIC.

4. Disynfectant wipes & spray: 
When everyone in my house was sick it was so important to bring out the lysol and disinfectant wipes. I would wipe everything my roommate touched and spray everything she sat on. That might be a little over the top but when you live with four people, things could spread very quickly. Luckily no one else caught the flu during the time that my roommate was sick.

5. Drink lots of fluid & sleep: 
Other basic elements include drinking lots of water and sleeping. Sleeping is a big one when your body is fighting things like the flu. Sleep can honestly make or break you when you’re surrounded my the flu virus. It is really important to drink water throughout the day to stay hydrated and sleep at a reasonable time. NO all nighters.

Comments

Popular Posts